09:00 - 09:15
With regulation for energy storage going from strength to strength in Chile, the country is setting the precedent for the rest of the region. Hear from the Ministry of Energy on next steps for the regulatory framework to develop and support storage, starting with the ley de almacenamiento y electromovilidad, norma de potencia and the norma de operación y despacho.
09:15 - 09:30
Presidente del Consejo Ejecutivo,
Coordinador Eléctrico Nacional
09:45 - 10:30
This keynote panel will set the scene across the region, discussing the role of regional governments and how they are leading the charge for the transition in Latin America. Join this session to find out more on the challenges of a nascent market which holds the key to a flexible power system.
- What is the appetite for energy storage from regional governments?
- Short to long-term predictions and targets for energy storage
- The energy policies driving storage in Latin America
- Status of auctions for renewable projects across the region
- What can the Latin America learn from other regions, such as Europe and the US, where successful regulation has already been implemented?
11:30 - 12:10
The urgency of climate change means a shift in focus from hydropower to widespread renewable energy generation, and Latin America has an abundance of resources which it can take advantage of.
- What role can energy storage play to help support Latin American grids with the renewable boom?
- How does storage fit into the current landscape of renewable projects and how might this change in the future?
- How storage can incorporate much-needed flexibility into the Latin American market
- The benefits of a more flexible system and how energy storage can support IPPs, generators and the private sector
12:10 - 12:30
- Tools and resources to support sizing, operation, analytics and optimization
- Selecting equipment
- Operating an energy storage asset
- Augmentation – overview on methods and the associated benefits and considerations of each
Director of Business Development,
12:30 - 13:15
As Latin America’s front runner, Chile has aggressive renewable energy goals, targeting 100% renewables in its electricity sector by 2050 and at least 60% by 2035. Energy storage will be key to reaching this objective and the Chilean market is setting the precedent for the rest of the region.
- How does market design need to evolve to further support the growth of energy storage in Chile
- Predictions for the outcome of the transmission-led auctions in 2024 and next steps for the Chilean storage industry
- What next for standalone energy storage projects?
- The landscape for long-duration energy storage projects in Chile
14:45 - 15:30
At a system-level, is storage best placed to play the most efficient role in balancing the system?
- What are the key flexible benefits that storage can bring to the table?
- With an increase in applications expected for grid-connected projects, what do you need to know about this model?
16:30 - 17:15
As a very diverse region in terms of terrain, natural resources and weather, there are many opportunities for implementing different technologies in projects, and it has become clear that long-duration energy storage will be needed to reach impending renewable targets.
- What is the definition of long-duration energy storage and how can it safeguard the continent’s path to net-zero?
- What are the key challenges developers face when looking at using alternatives to lithium-ion in projects?
- What do investors want to see before committing capital to long-duration projects?
- What does the landscape look like currently for non-lithium projects and what learnings can these developers bring to the industry?